Thursday, June 16

Tea Biscuits



My Old Standby
(from an ancient Purity flour cookbook)





Preheat oven to 425F


Sift together
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
salt to taste

Blend together
1/2 cup shortening
(I use Becel these days)

Add
approx. 1 cup milk
(add gradually)



Stir with a fork to make a soft dough.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 8 - 10 times.
Roll or pat to desired thickness (it doubles in height when baked).

Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet,
close together for soft sides or an inch apart if you like crusty sides.
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes till golden brown.
I get about 10 - 12 biscuits (depends on the size cutter I use)


Tip:
 If I'm in a hurry, I'll leave the dough as one piece
and shape it into a sort-a circle,
mark with a fork into pie wedges, and bake whole.
Then I slice into wedges.


These go great with any soup, such as
Moroccan chicken vegetable soup
(recipe also on this site)










No comments:

Post a Comment