Friday, November 18

Maureen's Cinnamon Buns





For the dough:

3 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg instant yeast

3/4 cup milk, 2%
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter or margarine

1 egg, slightly beaten

 Reserve 1 cup flour.
Mix flour, sugar and salt first; then sprinkle yeast, mix.
Heat milk, water and butter until hot to the touch.
Stir the hot mix into the dry ingredients.  Add the beaten egg. Stir.
Mix in enough reserve flour to make a soft dough (you'll have left over).

Turn on floured surface.
Knead, adding reserve flour as needed so it's not sticking.
Knead about 5 minutes or until elastic.
Cover and rest 10 minutes*
(no, not you, the dough!)


Making the buns:

Roll dough to a 14" square. 
Spread 1/2 cup butter (approx) over the rolled dough

Sprinkle: 
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp cinnamon 
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pecans (opt)

Roll up and cut into slices




Preparing the Pan:
(I used one 9x9" and one round 8" pan)

Spread approx 1-2 Tbsp butter at the bottom, then sprinkle some brown sugar.
Lay the slices into the pans.
Cover and let rise approx 30 min.

Bake at 375 degrees F for approx 20 min.

After baking, immediately turn pans upsidedown and
remove them from the buns.


*Tip:  If my kitchen is cool, I like to turn on the oven and let the stove area warm up a bit. I put the rising dough in its mixing bowl near by on the counter to rise. The dough should rise enough to leave a hole when you poke it.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda, wonderful recipe! I see now how you get that beautiful color, it's kind of like making an upside down cake. What a great technique. You also make them in a cake pan close together, that probably makes the dough very tender. I am going to try this later in the afternoon and surprise Tony with a treat. Have a great day! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delisa.... upsidedown cake... that's it exactly.
    And yes they were very tender.

    Did you surprise Tony?

    Love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda! Yes I made the rolls and they were a hit! They were so good, and easier to make the the recipe I was using before. I may even make another pan tonight! Tony is home on vacation and I have really been enjoying making him some special treats. I made some chocolate chip cookies over the weekend and I tried something different that really took them up a notch. I mixed together half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate chips, and then used dark brown sugar instead of light brown. Just little changes but what a difference! I hope you have a lovely day ahead! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delisa... I'm finding out too (as I get more mature -- hee hee) that those little differences make a difference. So thanks for the heads up on the cookie tweeks.

    I found that out with potatoes a few years ago. Of course my head knew there were differences but as I didn't have a list of what potatoes make what the best recipe, I used to just use what I had available.

    Until one day the potato producer put the list on the bag. I kept it as a reference ever since. Eg russets make good scalloped potatoes, but red ones do not. Some make better mashed than others too.

    ReplyDelete